Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

why is Buffer appearing in campaigns?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Just checked our campaigns report and noticed a campaign called 'Buffer' is in there.

We have not created a campaign/attached parameters for a Buffer.

I've searched online and there's an app called Buffer which will apparently attach parameters for you, but we aren't using this. 

Why could this have appeared/what can we do?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: why is Buffer appearing in campaigns?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi D Liley,

The only way campaign parameters appear is if someone - does not have to be you -- has appended a utm_campaign parameter with that name onto a link to your site. Could also be a campaign name in bing or AdWords with autotagging being used.

That said, you can look at source/medium for this traffic to try to determine the source.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm curious if you found an answer for this. I'm facing a similar issue: my team and I do use Buffer, but only for regular posts with no parameters. However, in Google Analytics we are seeing a lot of traffic from a so-called "buffer" campaign, even though this parameter isn't used in any link. Could it be caused by the URL shortener in the Buffer app, called buff.ly?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Cristina,

You will only see buffer if it's set as a utm paramter.   The app is probably doing that by default because someone has not customized it.  

They have a walk through here on how to customize and a background on utm params.

https://blog.bufferapp.com/utm-guide

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn