Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

vendor reports differ from Google Analytics reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I use a mobile vendor and the number of clicks is supposed to equate to the number of website visits. However, the vendor reports 60% more clicks/visits than the Google referral report shows. Is this an ad-server/vendor discrepancy or a Google discrepancy?

Thanks for the help

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bethany A
February 2016

Re: vendor reports differ from Google Analytics reports

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Bethany,

Put simply: clicks do not equal sessions. Any click (accidental for example) that is then interrupted or abandoned by the user prior to your page loading and GA firing would result in a click on your ad, but not a session in GA.

That said, 60% variance is a lot but may not be concerning based upon the actual return on ad spend.

In order to measure that you'll want to make sure that the vendor is using utm tagging for the links that come back to your site. More on that here: http://www.morevisibility.com/blogs/analytics/best-practices-for-custom-campaign-tagging-in-google-a...

and Goggle's URL builder is here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Once every link is tagged properly you'll be able to easily see the data collect in your source/medium reports and in your campaign reports (all can be found under acquisition).

Next, you'll need goals and goal values configured and, if applicable, Ecommerce.

This will allow Google Analytics (GA) to easily identify your marketing initiative and calculate a per visit value. If you want to take it a step further, you can use GA's data import feature to load your spend data (for non-Google campaigns) so that you can get ROAS calculated for each facet of your campaigns.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn