Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

utm parameters not tracked on Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to track our social media conversions; our links for this test campaign are linking to a THIRD party site that has no ties to our Google tracking ID.

And once I created UTM tracking code; my UTM parameter is not showing up in Analytics.  Three days has already past since created and no report has shown regarding the UTM parameter tag I am trying to track. I looked at ACQUISITION> CAMPAIGN > ALL CAMPAIGN (set to: last 30 days).

Below is the UTM; Google's shortened version:

https://goo.gl/s08JOl

I have "Allow Manual Tagging (UTM Values)" enabled on the Advance settings. I am not sure if this is something that might be conflicting with it?

Any advice helpful would be very appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sherwin M
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

If you don't have your tracking code on the third party site, unfortunately there is no way to track clicks from social media to that site.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Manual tagging is for Adwords campaigns only.

How long ago did you set the campaign?

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

You can track tagged URLs only pointing to your site where the tracking code for your property is installed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julien,

I am aware that Manual tagging is for Adwords; I mainly enabled the Manual tagging to show our Adwords campaign in Analytics.

Would you think, that the manual tagging is the reason why the UTM parameter is not showing up in the report?

I made the campaign just 3 days ago.

Also, are UTM parameter's meant to be used for links that have to affiliation to your ID? For example, our social media post links to a third party page that has no ties to our Google ID.  Can this interation from our post be shown on GA; with the use of UTM's?

If not what would be a solution?

Thanks again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnorld,

Thank you for your reply; so what would be your advice on how to track conversions in social media that link to third party websites?

Thanks in advance!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sherwin M
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

If you don't have your tracking code on the third party site, unfortunately there is no way to track clicks from social media to that site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for this answer! I came across this post when I was trying to answer a similar question, hoping you might be able to help!?

I'm planning to use Google Optimize to run a split test and I'm trying to find out - are we able to use tracked links as well as a url split test? e.g. if I post an ad with .com/?utm_ etc, am I able to track the results of that link in typical GA? Or will my Optimizer test strip the link out in order to serve the variant?

For context, my visitors get a bonus if they share the website after purchasing, to track if they've shared it, I give them a unique url using the utm tracking.

If you have any ideas or thoughts on that, it would be much appreciated!

Ben