Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

traffic on old account still getting traffic

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have an old GA account that is still getting traffic. The site that this account formally monitored was redesigned and a new code was implemented (more than a year ago) - so why would the old code/account still be receiving metrics?

I checked the pages getting the traffic and only the new code is listed. 

D

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dennis :_)
Sounds very likely like spam data. Its not a new issue and its not just an issue for GA, other tracking solutions such as PIWIK and similar can also be affected by it.

If you are confident the code is not existing on an site pages, then the rogue data should be ignored.

There are ways of dealing with it via filters and segments. You may want to look into this so as to keep the new reports clean and unaffected.
Long read but well worth it:
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you for your response. Do you know how spam would find an old analytics code - is it just going directly into google analytics or is it finding the page out there in the abyss somewhere. 

I checked referral traffic for these pages and everything comes back as "direct"

D