Analytics
5.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

sudden high rate of visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There is a sudden surge in the number of visitors in my website. This has followed a few minor changes to the website, nothing to be excited about. Usually I get less than 5 visitors per day. Suddenly, today and two days ago I got 30. I see new visits to the site from all over the world.

Could this be some sort of error? For example, if for some reason, the site is suddenly being mirrored to various global caches, will this cause such a difference?

Thanks,

-Amir

Re: sudden high rate of visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
From what you said here 3 possibilities come to mind for this sudden increase in traffic, but I'd need to see the traffic profile to know which it is:

1- The changes to your website caused you to get an unexpected boost in your search rankings for some term
2- Someone shared your content to social media and it's getting attention and traffic to your site
3- Your site's being visited by bots, possibly indexing your site for search engines, or from spammers or hackers looking for vulnerabilities to exploit on your site.

To get a better idea of this I'd need to see a screenshot of where this traffic is coming from, what sites and countries are your visitors from?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I can give you a screenshot of the world-map, but that would be in a coarse
resolution.
Here's a screenshot by country. Thanks!
[image: Inline image 1]

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you try reposting the image? I'm only seeing a code for the image, but not the image itself.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Is this new surge in traffic still engaging with the site
i.e. goig to more than 1 page and registering a visit duration of a normla amount (not 0 seconds)
bot spam traffic usually has a 100% bounce rate and visits for 0 secinds
if you have gotten shared on social media or you have started to rank in google for a relevant search term then yuor traffic shoudl be shwingnormal ;huan' traist such as visiting 2+ pages (assuming a multiple page site) and/or registering a normal looking time on site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
All very good indicators. Also, if your site runs on a system like WordPress, etc, I'd also take a look at how many failed login attempts you're getting as well. This can indicate someone is using actively attempting to hack your site, most likely with bots.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Most visitors are new, with short visit times.
https://snag.gy/9dgapR.jpg
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amir R
May 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That pattern definitely looks like bots. It could be harmless webcrawlers indexing your site for search engines or online directories, or spambots looking for sites to post comment spam on, or crawling the web for possible targets for hackers. At this stage I'd say they're probably harmless, given the number of them, but if any of them are giving your site anything that's way above the normal amount of page views (or hits) then they would most likely be looking for sites to spam on.

In terms of your analytics, I'd recommend setting your Analytics account to ignore known bots. This should stop them from skewing your data like this. To do this from your main dashboard go to:

Admin tab (top of screen) -> View Settings (top of right most of 3 columns) -> and near the bottom of this page is the option "Exclude all hits from known bots and spiders " - make sure this is checked, then save your changes.

From the security side, this doesn't help you if these are harmful bots looking to spam or hack your site. To protect yourself from those I'd recommend getting a firewall and making the following changes to all your Admin accounts.

The firewall I'd recommend is Wordfence, which is a WordPress plugin you can get here: https://www.wordfence.com/

As for your Admin accounts, keep the following in mind: don't use userID's that are easy to guess, IDs like "admin", "webmaster", your personal name, your business name, etc are very easy to guess and get a hacker half way there to gaining admin level access to your site. Do the same for your Control Panel with your host as well, as that could also come under attack if a hacker gets determined to break in.

Next make sure you use secure passwords. This means not using anything a hacker could easily guess either because it's a common word or something a little investigation could uncover, such as a pet's or friend's name or where you live, etc. Use a mix of lower and upper case letters, symbols and numbers, and make sure you use them in unpredictable ways. A common mistake is to just throw in a token number or symbol at the beginning or end to "trick" the password requirements into passing your password, but these are too easy to guess using an automated attack of all likely passwords.

Also, make sure you're on the latest version of WordPress and all your plugins. If you do get Wordfence, it does also come with a tool to lock out accounts and even IP addresses after a certain number of failed login attempts in a short period, which can also protect you from attacks like I just described above as it slows it down to only a few per IP address per day.