Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

reporting analytics for a site that doesn't exist ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am still keeping a property for a site that doesn't exist anymore, i.e. has an invalid url. 

GA confirms this:

Bad Default URL Unable to load default URL...

however I am still seeing monthly visits.

Upon further analysis, roughly 80% of those are referral spam - but still, how is this possible, if the url itself is showing:

This site can’t be reached

websiteurl’s server DNS address could not be found.
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: reporting analytics for a site that doesn't exist ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Have just found this answer.

If I understand correctly, the data is being send by the spammers directly to the GA account - 

1. how is this even possible ? I though GA is not directly accessible, and is only gathering info from other websites via the tracking code.

2. in what way would the spam sites benefit from this ?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

They're spammers. Just like email spammers, they don't count on every bit of spam being seen and clicked. They count on the fact that if they spam as many people as possible, just enough suckers will click to make some money for the spammers.

Legality and morality aside, spammers are basically following a "high impression, low CTR" advertising strategy. They figure if the cost of the advertising is low enough, it doesn't matter how low their conversion rate is.

Because honestly, spamming is so cheap these days that it only takes a handful of sales to cover the cost of spamming millions of people.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So they are targeting the GA owners

Otherwise I don't get it, as the general public cannot see them, if the site is inaccessible. 

How do they get into the GA UI ?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Michal,

This type hits directly Google Analytics and it doesn't need an active site/app, they just need an existing code and they don't even know who are they hitting, most probably they generate random codes numbers with this format UA-XXXXXX-Y.

If you are planning in using that property you can either use a new clean view or create a filter for spam. Otherwise if you want to keep the view but you won't use it, you can create a filter that excludes everything so you stop receiving spam.

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me