Analytics
5.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

remove url query string from a report only

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to remove url queries only within the report and not using a view filter. We currently track url queries for several items but it is causing an issue when trying to look at a section of the site for simple stats like total page views as each ?token=12345 causes a new instance.

I believe the proper steps are normally to set up a filter for  "Search and Replace" using "Request URI" and using a reg ex like ^[^?]+(\?.*) to just remove all queries.

My question is can I do this search and replace within a report or can this only be done with filters.

Thanks for any help.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blake F
February 2016

Re: remove url query string from a report only

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Blake,
The easiest way to do this is to do a partial search in the advanced search (and even just the normal search box) on any report.
The problem with this is that you can only view the stats for one "page" (and all it's appended query parameters) at a time. You can however use RegEx in the search field for all reports. It's incredibly handy and powerful.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blake F
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Blake,
The easiest way to do this is to do a partial search in the advanced search (and even just the normal search box) on any report.
The problem with this is that you can only view the stats for one "page" (and all it's appended query parameters) at a time. You can however use RegEx in the search field for all reports. It's incredibly handy and powerful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Dave,

For some reason I never thought to give that a go. Life will be so much easier now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

REGEXP_EXTRACT(Page, '([^?]*)\?.*')

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here