Analytics
5.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

referral exclusion or something else?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In Aug I switched web design companies.  They said that GA data hadn't been tracked since at least Jan.  The new company checked the ID and the UA tracking code on the new site and said that it all looks good.  They think the problem might be with the GA account set up.  All of the set up has been through the website companies, so I'm not sure if it is set up correctly.

When I click "send test traffic" button, that test visit doesn't appear - even 2 days later.  Whenever I publish a blog post, I always look at it to see what a potential client might see.  My own one or two visits don't show up either.

In the Referrals area, all of the sites referring have very peculiar names (i love italy, uptime, share button) instead of search engines or social media sites that I would expect. 

In the Referral Exclusion List (under user management/tracking info), my own website is listed.  Is that part of the problem?

Any thoughts or insights about what is wrong and how it can be fixed would be greatly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: referral exclusion or something else?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jann :-)
Your own domain should be in the Referral Exclusion List.. that is correct as it is.

Does the Property ID in GA match the Tracking ID in the tracking code on the website?
Property ID can be found at the top of the GA Property Setting page and has the following format UA-XXXXXX-X
it should be the same UA# that is the Tracking ID in the tracking code on the website

The reporting View in GA... does it have any filters applied to it?

You can also check for 'obvious" errors with the tracking code using Google Tag Assistant.. very easy tool to use
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk

Please post back if you have further questions/need further help

Thanks

Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The UA-xxxxxx-x in the website tracking is identical to the UA-xxxxxx-x listed. It appears 1x in the website tracking computer coding.

The reporting view in GA is empty. It reads "There is no data for this view."

I added the Google Tag assistant and it appears a little button next to the place where I type the web address at top. When I enter my website, it says my connection is not private. (I usually use Firefox and can access the site on that without any error message.) I let the website people know about the connection not being private.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dug a little more. I have two Google Analytics accounts for my website each with a unique UA-xxxxxx-x codes.

I have two gmail accounts - one is personal and one is for consulting work I do.

The GA account tied to my personal address is the one that shows very little data with referring sites that don't seem legit. The GA account to my consulting address has no data - nada.

Is there a way to delete one of the GA accounts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Under Account/Account Settings, there was a Data Processing Amendment that I hadn't accepted. I did accept it (in both accounts). Is that contributing to the problem?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jann :-)
I don't know about the Data Processing Amendment as it does not apply to me/the accounts I manage

Which gmail address is tied to the GA Account that matches the tracking code on the website?

eta re the Data Processing Amendment
Its optional and should have no affect on the functionality of Analytics at all.
Its also only applicable to:

for businesses established in the territory of a member state of the European Economic Area or Switzerland, or that, for other reasons, are subject to the territorial scope of the national implementations of Directive 95/46/EC.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3379636?hl=en

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

referral exclusion or something else?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Just to add (sorry for the lapse in communications, the notification system hasnt been working correctly)

Which GA account matches the on the website? The tracking id (UA#) ties the tracking to the reporting.. not the domain name

And to delete an  account, simply log in with the relevant email account and click on Admin tab and the select the Account from the Account drop down and on the Account Settings Page. choose the option to delete the Account