Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

"in-page analytics" vs events?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As a marketer, I would like to understand how well my banner (linking to an internal landing page) is performing on my homepage, so wouldn't it be just enough to look at the "in-page" analytics data as opposed to setting up events?

Which brings me to my other question, what would be the benefit of setting up events in the first place?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author chris s
February 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Chris S,

If you want me to compare in-page vs events. I would prefer event tracking. The reason being I can then create custom reports with my own metrics, also segment the users who clicked on the banner and who didn't and then go through various other Performance metrics,KPI's,Macro micro conversions,etc.
To summarize events would be good for deeper analysis.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Ritwik 

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Events capture non-pageview interactions with your site (except for transactions and social sharing of course)

Pageviews are meant to capture regular navigation and page consumption/readership as well as engagement metrics such as bounce rate and time spent.

If you have on-site promotions/banners, you may want to use the enhanced e-commerce module to track clicks on banners and see their impact on conversion.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author chris s
February 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Chris S,

If you want me to compare in-page vs events. I would prefer event tracking. The reason being I can then create custom reports with my own metrics, also segment the users who clicked on the banner and who didn't and then go through various other Performance metrics,KPI's,Macro micro conversions,etc.
To summarize events would be good for deeper analysis.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Ritwik