Analytics
3.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

"Not set" in behavior flow with dimension "advertising" selected

M F
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
M F
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello dear community members.
I have encountered the following issue in the "behavior flow" of google analytics:

When I select the dimension "advertising" - with which I can query data related to adwords if I am not mistaken - and choose the sub-dimension "campaign", I get a block called "not set" in the results. I see the landingpages, to which the user is send once he clicks on the corresponding adwords-ad, as seperate blocks correctly, but I do not have an explanation for that "not set"-block.

If I select the sub-dimension "keyword", I get even an additional "not provided" block.

Interesstingly, I narrowed down the results by using the segments and figured out, that some of the users from the particular "not set"-block came through a different channel - e. g. "direct".

I would like to mention, that this phenomenon occurs only if the segment "all users" is selected. If I select the segment "paid traffic" the results correspond correctly with the ones from my adwords account (and the not "set-block" is gone).

Does anyone knows the described issue or might even have a solution for it?

In any case I would like to thank you in advance.

Regards

Mathew

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author M F
October 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mathew,

The campaign dimension under the advertising section doesn't just look at paid traffic, rather it looks at all traffic. So most traffic (Organic, Referral, Direct, etc) won't have a campaign tag associated with it which is why you are seeing (not set). Choosing the 'paid traffic' segment was the right thing to do if you wanted to just look at that traffic source!

The keyword dimension also looks at all traffic, which means a large portion will be (not set) and a large portion will be (not provided) since Google removed nearly all organic search keywords from the GA reports in 2011.

Hope this helps!

M F
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
M F
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Samantha,

somehow I already assumed that this would be the case. Thank you for the confirmation.

Regards

Mathew