Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

questin about Google analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My name is Zvika from MyState Mobile. we have an application which is called MyState and acts as smart dialer,  that show you in advance, before you dial, if your contact is busy, offline, etc.

Here is the link:    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mystate.mystate

We use Google Analytics to track users behavior in our application.

One of the metrics we collect refers to the usage of actions in our app.

We defined a filter that shows the number of users that did more than X sessions.

in our app we have passive users and active users.

Active users are doing active actions in the app - dialing, sending messages , etc.

Passive users are not operating the app, however, the app works at their background and send the indications about their status to their contacts.

The filter in Google Analytics  shows the number of users who did more than X sessions per specific time.

It appears that even if I expand the number more and more, I still get lots of users.

For example a filter with 10 sessions in a week (7 days) gives me 18,684 users:

A filter with 100 sessions gives me 3101 users:

And a filter with 500 sessions gives back 1128 users:

In the example above, I see 1128 users with 5108 sessions. I would expect that the number of sessions will be at least 1,128 * 500. 

Also, as session is defined as 30 minutes, how can this be? 500 sessions are 250 hours, which are more than 168 hours in a week.

What is wrong here? Appreciate your support.

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: questin about Google analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Since your app is probably using the measurement protocol to record the traffic, you are in control of the session id, and could start a new session with every action. The 30 minute session duration is how the analytics.js website tracking works.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.