Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

paid search traffic but no ad words campaign is running

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone, hope you can help!

I added GTM to my website last week and configured a tag to be triggered everytime a certain button was clicked. I since then deleted this tag & GTM from my website as the trigger/ tag seemed to have been set up incorrectly.

On my analytics account I was seeing paid search traffic although I have no paid ads running, and I read this can sometimes be caused by tagging errors, hence the above deletion.

But I am still seeing paid traffic stats even though I have deleted the GTM from my site.

I have googled high & low for an answer and have had no joy. Hope you can help me!!!! TIA! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Have you had paid search in the past? If a visitor's campaign attribution has not changed then they will continue to show as a paid search visit, even if the campaign is no longer active. In this scenario, the visitor comes via a paid search click, then then subsequent visits are made directly; in the standard reports the visitor is still attributed to paid search. If they use another advert, referring website or a search engine then there attribution will change.

An event tag should no cause a visitor to be incorrectly attributed.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I think if it is the case why not change the default campaign timeout to set it less than 6 months or before if you run a paid ads that long ago.Now it depends

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

That is a solution but I'd be wary of doing it without fully understanding the implications, for example a large proportion of your organic traffic will be relabeled as direct which can make historical comparison challenging. I'd suggest if the CPC traffic can be defined as an old campaign then that knowledge is sufficient and no action is needed. Changing the cookie timeout is more appropriate when you have many campaigns which are changing quickly e.g. related to product deals, new products etc.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks great learning experience.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

No worries - happy to share from the mistakes I've made in the past!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

John my profile is changed from new contributor to explorer.am i improving here?

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

I would guess that all changes are positive! But I have no real grasp about the different ratings mean. Keep up the good work!