Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

pages reported in Custom event(404 page not found) is working fine

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have pushed a custom error code on 404 not found pages to track the pages for which our users are getting not found page. The URL's which we are getting in list are found working fine(200 response code).

1. Can you please confirm are those URLs appearing in list are "/" trimmed. For example URL like "http://www.example.com/recipes/cakes/" are appearing in list without "/" in end like "http://www.example.com/recipes/cakes".

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Pravesh, 

If both pages are reporting a 200 response code for both /cakes/ and /cake (without the slash) then they should be counted as two separate entities. 

Google typically treats a URL that sends with a slash as a conventional directory and without as a file. 

An exception to this is your root URL so www.yourdomain.com AND www.yourdomain.com/ are treated the same. 

If one is not redirecting to the other (with a 301 redirect) than I highly suggest you insert a non-canonical to prevent duplicate content from being counted. 

Let me know if this answers your question! 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: pages reported in Custom event(404 page not found) is working fine

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Josh,

My question is not for duplicate content, to protect duplicate content we have implemented canonical meta on all the pages and either page have trailing "/" or not, it will have canonical url without trailing "/".

My question was, when I check report in Google Analytics, it reports many pages in 404 event and when I hit those pages they work fine. I am unable to find the reason why they are reported in 404 event tracking tab when they are proper 200 URL. 

Please check the screen shot attached and let me know how a 200 urls can appear in 404 tab.

Thanks,

PravesherrorpageGA.jpg

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Pravesh, 

An event label is either inserted manually or automatically but according to your specifications. So this must mean that you have some code setup somewhere that is pushing 404 as an event label. Can you tell me a little bit more about your event tracking? 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’