Analytics
4.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

(other) in the queries

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! In Analytics dashboard (search console/queries) a large number of queries relates to (other)

Is it possible to know these queries and fix it somehow?

1 Expert replyverified_user

(other) in the queries

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You can refer to this help article. Essentially, the number of rows (cardinality) in a report is limited to 50k (or 75k for Analytics 360). When over this number, all remaining values are shown as a single entry: (other).

One possible way to work around that is to reduce the date range - if within a day you don't have more than 50k different search queries, you will be able to see all values.

In order to get the complete list you will have to extract the data day by day from GA, store it somewhere, and create your own report. I suspect Data Studio also has a row limit for a given table. Possible solutions are:

- Go directly in Search Console / Search Analytics

- Build your own API requests, store in Google Sheet

- Do a Big Query request and use Data Studio if you are using Analytics 360

- Use Analytics Canvas "partitionning" ability, store in Tableau Extract, use Tableau Desktop to sophisticated analysis

Have fun! Smiley Happy

(other) in the queries

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

same problem here. I am not getting the "Other" queries. Diwali wallpapers 2017

Re: (other) in the queries

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The help article you refer to doesn't explain why the search queries with the highest CTR are being hidden as (other) even on small sites that have nowhere near 50k entries

e.g. on a small site, with the date range narrowed to 2 days with only 528 impressions in that period, I see 108 entries in the GA Acquisition-> Queries search query list and the first entry is (other) and that entry has ALL the clicks - the others only have impressions.

This is unbelievably infuriating as we have no way of seeing what our successful queries are, only the pointless stragglers !

If resource exhaustion isn't the correct explanation here, what is ?

(other) in the queries

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Have you tried going directly in Google Search Console?

(other) in the queries

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Indeed yes - I started with the site registered only with Search Console - that simply omits the query keywords, whereas GA explicitly adds in a line (other) to let me know how many results are missing. I only registered with GA to see if Google rewarded website owners in some dubious way with extra data if they used both Search Console and GA integrated - previously I had been using StatCounter Paid and importing the GWT data into that for simpler reports using the API/Token system.

I have noticed that there is an amber shield instead of a green shield at the top of the GA panel for Acquistion>Query which has a tooltip which warns that I have a high-cardinality dimension, but it is impossible that I have more than 50,000 queries, as the range I selected is resatricted to 500-odd impressions. There cannot be more queries than impressions can there ?

(other) in the queries

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I can reproduce exactly the same thing when picking a single day with a total number of impressions of 3,608, and only 798 rows. And yet, I also get the (not set) entry. Notice at the top of the report it says "Google Search: Top 1,000 daily Landing Pages", but we are well below that. So honestly, at this point, I don't know...

Re: (other) in the queries

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi :-))

Under the Queries Report section on the linked page

To protect user privacy, queries that are made infrequently or that contain sensitive or personal information are grouped together as (other).

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1308626?hl=en

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

(other) in the queries

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for that link Bronwyn

I wish that was a credible explanation - it plainly isn't - the site in question is boringly technical and we know by trial and error experimentation with the search page as an end user that our best-ranking queries - WHICH CONTAIN NO PERSONAL OR SENSITIVE INFORMATION - must be in the aggregate (other) category - because they aren't in the tail-end data that Google actually disclose - they can't be anywhere else.

As to whether the queries which regularly generate the most traffic to our site are the infrequently used ones - as their answer #1308626 asserts, I fail to see the logic behind that either. In fact, looking at the tail-end data that they do disclose reveals the esoteric queries - those fail to click-through and are odd - as you would expect.

I'm guessing there is another reason for Google hiding this data, because none of their documented reasons seem to stand up to closer examination.

(other) in the queries

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Sorry, the only other info I found in relation to this is the following article by Lunametrics, one of the GA Certified Partner companies

https://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2017/11/16/other-in-google-analytics-search-console-reports/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here