Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

(not set)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello~

I've published a new website. Having Google Analytics' reporting is proving fun and informative.

An intriguing issue has occurred in the last few days. Where previously I had a given city listed (audience-geo-location-city), instead it now states (not set).  The number of users from that city have not changed, and the city is familiar to us.

How would the report go from listing the city to now showing the (not set) version?

Thank you, Teresa

1 Expert replyverified_user

(not set)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Are you still seeing data for the city being reported as well as the (not set) data?

Visitor information regarding location usually depends on the visitor's ISP and where they are routing the traffic through... and the 3rd party data centers that google use for location information to send it back into the reports.

I'm in NY but depending on the day and my ISP, i can get logged as being in NY, PA, NJ or CT.

You wont always get location information either.

Is it just the city information that is (not set) or is there other information that is not set as well...

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here