Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

(not set) page title spike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On May 29th, my top viewed pages were all normal page titles and everything was working correctly in analytics. On May 30th, "(not set)" became my website's top viewed page and it has consistently been the top viewed page (by thousands of views) ever since. I don't know if there was a shift in the analytics settings around then that caused it. I do know that we didn't push any updates through to our website around then, so it's not in the structure of the site. I'm wondering if there was any setting that may have been changed in our analytics that would throw off the numbers by so much, out of the blue. Has anyone else had a similar issue and resolved it?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Brandon G :-)

Do you have your GA Views setup with filters and such to help prevent spam data?
While it is a long read, it is highly recommended one.
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Can you see any changes to the GA views/property settings in the Change History for the account?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have our spam filters set up and there is no action in our change history that in any way coincides with the jump in (not set)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks for clarifying :-)
Do you routinely check reports and review and update spam filters as necessary?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our spam filters are regularly updated. Also the amount of (not set) increases with regular traffic increases, which coincides with new content being added to the site. This seems unlikely to be spam considering that. Would you agree?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Another note- The URLs are correct- it's the page titles that will split into two categories:

1. The correct page title

2. (not set)