Analytics
5.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

not set in location report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I approx get 16000 a month visits to my site a month approx 1000 of those if i view the location reports show as not set. I cant find any information for ip address, city etc. As anyone else experienced this. I have excluded bots and spiders but not sure what i can do to fix it.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: not set in location report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Hannah :_)
GA does not track/report IP information.

Sounds like it may possibly be related to spam data.
The following article is an in-depth look at the different types that can occur
and ways to prevent the data appearing in reports
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you i had already implemented some filters to try and stop the bots but i guess they have got through this.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Are the visits with the not set location coming from a particular referral source?
(You can check this by going to the Audience > Geo > Location report and Leaving the
Primary Dimension as say Country and then adding a Secondary Dimension of Source/Medium
If you find they are being generated by a couple of specific referrers, then you can create an Exclude filter
using Campaign Source as the filter field and then a regex to combine the domain names in the Filter pattern field
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great thank you I will have a look. Thank you for your help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Its coming up as direct/none so i cant see who it is.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
They also come from desktop so that alludes the mobile not collecting the location etc.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Some visitors will come up as not set as information for all locations is not always available.
Do you have a seperate View setup with a hostname filter applied to only include hits to your domain name?

If you change the Secondary Dimension and have a look thru the other Dimensions available, is there anything else you
are noticing that could be used for filtering or that seems funky eg a non existent browser type/version being reported

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes all traffic is coming through the correct hostname www.long-travel.co.uk and coming from known browsers.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
I have no familiarity with your website or its tracking history./patterns.

What I would do, is read the following articleon spam data so as to aquaint yourself
with the various types that can affect accounts. It is a very long read but well worth it
Create a new View to track going forward
and apply the suggested filters in the article to the new View as a preventative measure going forward
There are also segments in the article that can be setup so as to 'clean' you current reports
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

I don't think dimensions with (not set) values can be filtered however I might be wrong so you may want
to test that.