Analytics
5.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

(not set) in Landing Pages

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Community,

My GA report has (not set) for 29% landing page. I have read multiple articles on that but not able to figure out complete solution. My GA is implemented through GTM.

I have checked through Tag assistant pageview is hitting first before any event. What could be other possibilities?

Thanks

Re: (not set) in Landing Pages

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Have you checked the 'Hostname' report to see if this contain any (not set) entry?if there is, then this might be spam data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This report tells us which page or screen a user viewed first when they came to our site. This (not set) can be one of the most important indicators of an issue with your tracking. There are three main issues that could cause this to show up: expired sessions, broken sessions, and incorrect implementation.

Expired Sessions

By default, sessions expire after 30 minutes of inactivity, which is measured from the last hit that GA receives. If you have a website where someone could theoretically load a page, spend 30 minutes on that page, and then come back at a certain point and trigger an event, like from a PDF download, then that new event will trigger a brand new session with a landing page of (not set).

This can often happen with websites with long-form content or embedded videos, though almost everyone will see it show up for a small portion of traffic. Think how many times you may have opened a webpage only to be distracted and come back to it later.

Fix #1: If you can reasonably expect this to happen on your site due to your content, you can change you Session Timeout settings to be up to 4 hours. This should decrease the (not set) numbers.

Broken Sessions

When a user loads a webpage, any combination of hits can be sent in; pageviews, events, social actions, transactions, etc. These should all be connected so you can get a full picture of user activity on your site. However, for a variety of reasons, sometimes these hits can get separated and exist in separate sessions. If a new session is triggered by anything other than a pageview, you’ll see your Landing Page show as (not set). This is one of the more serious issues that should be addressed.

Fix: Usually this happens with a tracking issue; events and pageviews triggered from a combination of on-page JavaScript and perhaps a tool like Google Tag Manager. Make sure your trackers are talking together to connect all of the hits of session.

Incorrect Implementation

A pageview should always be the first thing fired when a page loads. If something happens where an event fires before a pageview, or is the only thing to fire on a page, then you’ll see this issue show up.

Fix: Double-check your implementation and make sure pageviews are firing first!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
"Hostname" has no (not set) data. Numbers for (not set) in landing pages is in millions so it can't be spam.
This all started after implementation of event. My GA is implemented through GTM and event is hard coded.
I think it could be one of the reason but not able to figure out completely.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Expired Session: This can't happen for millions of user. so, i don't think this is the case.
Broken Session: This could be one of the possible reason because my GA is implemented through GTM and event is hard coded.
Incorrect Implementation: I have checked with tag assistant pageview is firing before any event.

Broken session could be the reason. But I am not 100% sure can you please tell me anyway I can check this.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Broken session can also happen due to using different versions of GA tags. So, for example, if some pages have ga.js and the other pages / iframes have analytics.js code or different code used for event tracking, then cookie will get reset. Check if you're using the same GA code version consistently throughout the website.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes we are using universal analytics on all pages. But my event tracking is hard coded I am not using GTM for event tracking.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Check the event tracking code for - ga('send', 'event',...... ). If it's different from that or _trackEvent(category, action, then this might be the cause for this issue.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank You all for your responses. My problem is resolved.
I have checked the "Set Tracker Name" in GTM and leave the value blank.

(not set) in Landing Pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alok,

I'm getting the same issue now. Could you please explain the approach you followed?