Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

(not set) for external link event report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've set up event tracking for external link clicks (via GTM) on one of our GA accounts. The Event Label has been set up in GTM as the click url, but the top result in the report over the weekend - by a huge margin - is '(not set)'. 

Has anyone encountered this before with external link click reporting, or does anyone know where these clicks would be going?

I'd be very grateful if anyone has any advice they could share.

Many thanks in advance!

Alex

(not set) for external link event report

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Alex S,

In your case, this means that when you push your data to GTM dataLayer, there was no value assigned to your dataLayer variable that you are using for the URL. Most probably there is a problem with your implementation of your dataLayer push(the one for your event), you should double check if your selector is getting the 'href' value properly. Also, please set a little bit of timeout for the external link redirection.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Re: (not set) for external link event report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hanks @Gny!

I've attached a couple of screenshots below of how we've set up the event - our GA account id and urls are blurred out. In the second screenshot, the trigger fires when the page url contains our domain name, and the click url does not contain our domain name. 

Is this setup correct? We have implemented a 2000 millisecond delay for the link to open already.

Thanks,

A

GTM screenshot 1.png

GTM screenshot 2.png