Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

my sessions vs unique pageviews are different for the same page

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am looking at traffic to a single page and my sessions are different than my unique pageviews. Shouldn't they be the same?

screenshot

http://www.screencast.com/t/Ma8IAsKX

D

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: my sessions vs unique pageviews are different for the same page

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dennis,

Technically no, a user in a single session could register multiple pageviews for a single page but only one unique. It's a really small discrepancy here, not anything to be too concerned with, IMO.

Google explains this quite well here - have a look: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1257084?

-Tommy

Edit - for some reason, I was focused on the pageviews vs unique in the screenshot...which lead to "small discrepancy".  My apologies. 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
The sessions metric is counted against the first hit of a sessions, typically the landing page. The session value for all other pages in each visit is 0. If the page is not a major landing page, then the session count will be very low -- use unique pageviews instead.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, your explanation is very helpful.

And I found this example :

Landing page : 100 sessions, 1000 unique page views
Interpretation: 100 sessions started on that page and this page was seen during 1000 visits (the other 900 are visits that started on other pages but also went through that page).

It demonstrate what you explained. If I understand well, the totals between sessions & unique page views may vary from a page to another, but what about hte grand totals for a period of time? Should they be the same?

Because in my case, my unique page views are still much higher than the sessions.

Thank you for your help!

Valerie