Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

multiple page titles being tracked under root slash

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our site has an issue where occasionally *not always* a page is tracked as simply "/" rather than its canonical path. Our system is setup to always return a url with a trailing slash. and often the offending page is far outside of the root directory. For example pages like the following might be logged in GA as "/"

- ./resources/name-of-blog/title-of-blog-post/

- /resources/documents/title-of-document/

- /products/name-of-the-product/

Our homepage is setup to always redirect to /home/ no matter what is entered in at the root level. For example the following would result in /home/

- /default.aspx

- /

Also, on these offending page we include a canonical metadata tag which returns the following:

<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.example.com/Resources/Documents/Title-of-The-Document/" />

Any idea what might cause this type of misreporting? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: multiple page titles being tracked under root slash

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
In your admin section under view settings what do you have for your Default Page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
At the moment nothing. Should I try "home"?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
You can try that and see if it helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
When I try adding something like "home" or "index.aspx" then tons of links under content start showing up with this extension. For example previous links might start looking like this:

- ./resources/name-of-blog/title-of-blog-post/index.aspx
- /resources/documents/title-of-document/index.aspx
- /products/name-of-the-product/index.aspx

or

- ./resources/name-of-blog/title-of-blog-post/home
- /resources/documents/title-of-document/home
- /products/name-of-the-product/home

And I still have the same existing problem where tons of pages are tracked as "/" but page titles are different.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Delete everything from that field so that your Home Page which is optional is blank.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yup, I did that as soon as I saw it misreporting. This is a real bummer as our data is totally being misreported. Anyone have any idea how to escelate issues like this with support?