Analytics
3.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

measuring unique visits for similar URLs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Should I count URLs separately if they contain the same content but are from a different source, eg Hootsuite?

Example: On the "Pages" reports page, I see two URLs for the same page, including their unique pageview totals:

/article/welcome-back-otters/: 1573

/article/welcome-back-otters/?platform=hootsuite: 355

Should I add the 355 to the 1573 to get the total number of unique pageviews, or are the 355 visitors that came from Hootsuite included in the 1573 total?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Beth S
October 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Every URL  including URL's with parameters like ?platform=hootsuite is counted separately.

If you want to count them together you can add term "platform" to the "Search Term Exclusion List":

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795833?hl=en

It will work only for Universal Analytics tracking code and doesn't affect historical data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Tomasz! Much appreciated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This solution doesn't seem to be working for me, at least in the Landing Pages reports. I tried the word platform in and out of quotes, but the report is still generating with platform=hootsuite lines. any guesses as to why?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Try to exclude query parameter feature.

Under view setting you will find an option called query parameter.

Put platform without quotes there.

Now both your url counts will combined and give u more precise data