Analytics
5.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

.html on page displaying in both lowercase and uppercase on tracking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm running a report on a page and it displays .html in both lowercase and uppercase.

For example,

"abcpage.html"

and

"abcpage.HTML"

Why is this happening and are these the same pageviews just duplicated or being tracked separately? If anyone has any insight please reply asap.

Re: .html on page displaying in both lowercase and uppercase on tracking.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Google Analytics is case sensitive, so it captures the data exactly as it appears in the location bar of the browser. Therefore, if a mixed case URL is in the browser, it will be captured and displayed as mixed case within your Google Analytics reports. You can use the lowercase filter to change URLs so those URL's will be displayed as lowercase.

Filter settings:

• Filter Name: Lowercase Request URI
  • Filter Type: Custom -> Lowercase
  • Filter Field: Request URI

It looks like this in GA:

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 20.24.16.png

Please note that filters are not retroactive. I suggest to set up this filter on a new (test) view first and keep one view unfiltered. If it's working properly, add it to you main (master) view.

Hope this helps. Let us know, how it goes.

Taavi

.html on page displaying in both lowercase and uppercase on tracking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So when you say retroactive you mean can't take it off the account?

Re: .html on page displaying in both lowercase and uppercase on tracking.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Filters only start working on your data from the moment you set them up onwards, they won’t fix your past data and their effects are permanent. But you can use custom segments or table filters to clean up your past data if you want. They are retroactive but not permanent.

Hope this helps.

Taavi