Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

how to make filter spam segment for old data and have exclude internal users segment also applied?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I'm tracking a website that had pages that showed pageviews for spam up to a certain point. For example, a page like "xyz-page.com" will show up in the pageviews report I'm running.  I'm also applying a segment that excludes internal users from the pages as well. Is there a way to not track the spam pages with a segment as well as keep the data that includes the segmented data for excluding internal users? Please if anyone has any suggestions on this, let me know as soon as possible.

2 Expert replyverified_user

how to make filter spam segment for old data and have exclude internal users segment also applied?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

You can have multple filters within a segment create your first filter for example your exclude for spam URL contains xyz-page.com then add a new filter that excludes internal users, in fact if both your filters are exclude you can use the and/or command and create both filters in the same filter.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

As @Brian B correctly states you can have multiple conditions on your segments. One thing that all fake pages from the spam have in common is that they all either have a fake hostname or is (not set) so if you add a condition to add only your valid hostnames (which will be mainly your domain) you will exclude most of the spam pages/referrals/keywords at once.

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I tried adding a filter that goes something like this and it still didn't work:

first dropdown selected"Hostname", second dropdown selected "contains" , and actual url I'm trying to stop from being tracked "/www1.free-share-buttons.top"

This is in an exclude after my internal users filter and that page still shows up on my report, I tried keywords to start as well and still page showing up. Added another excludes filter for another page and didn't work for that one either. Any idea why this isn't working or something I need to do different?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Try removing the forwrd slash from in front of www1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just tried that, it doesn't do anything, the page still shows up.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I got it working, it was Page that I had to put in the first dropdown instead of Hostname, used the Or command to filter out the additional pages as well. Thanks for your responses everyone!