Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

how is a specific medium driving traffic

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I am running through the landing page report under behavior and came across a medium called "catalog" that i'm unable to find out where exactly this medium is associated.  It appears to be driving a decent amount of traffic, but I have no idea from where.  What is the best way to track down different mediums and source/mediums to determine where they are being implemented? 

I've looked at the landing pages as well as page path, but i'm still having no luck.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how is a specific medium driving traffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Someone used that medium in their tracking link to your site/page. They also probably selected a source and campaign, possibly a keyword (campaign term). Check those other values.

One of the things about Google Analytics utm tagging in urls is that I can create links to your site with whatever values I want, and they show up in your reports. Unfortunately those values replace the real source of the traffic, so you kind of have to guess at where it might come from.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the feedback. I was able to determine the campaign and source. From this information is there a possible way to determine what URL sent this traffic to our site?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Unfortunately not -- the use of campaign tags overwrites the referral path. You can check it in a custom report, but it is likely blank.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.