Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

how do users get to top pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have not found any way to see where users come from before the get to my top viewed and used pages.

I can see generic info about referrals, how many sessions came from X, how many from Y. and what pages were top viewed.

But for a specific page (for example a generic page page 123) I cannot tell how my users got to page 123.

What did they click on in my site, how did they navigate to get there to page 123? his cannot be found in GA.

Acquisition > All Traffic > Referrals

Acquisition > All Traffic > Source/Medium

tells me where users are coming from, in general. 

But does not answer the question I am looking to answer.

Behavior > Behavior Flow 

seems promising but I have never been able to get one iota of useful info out of this section of Google Analytics.

There seems to be no way to filler down to see what happened for a specific page from behavior flow.

For my top pages,

did any users search to come to that page? if so what did they search for? how many pages did they view before they got to page 123?

what referral source brought users to page 123? did they view other pages before the one of interest? what pages did they view? what were all of the navigation paths that led to page 123? what were the top used paths?

I cannot find anyway to get this sort of info out of GA.

is it possible to get any of this info out of GA?

but for a speciic page on my site, I cannot tell how users got there.

what pages on my site did they visit before they got to the specific page of interest.

did they search or filter to 

Re: how do users get to top pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Ken,

If you wanna see how users reach page 123, all you need to do is:

1. Go Behavior > Site Content > All Pages
  2. Find the page you want (page 123 for example)
  3. Click on it for more data
  4. Choose Navigation Summary in tabs

In this section, you could see how people reach this page, and how they behave after leaving this page.

Farid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i do not have the navigation summary tab in my google analytics environment. I am searching for how to enable it.

also, I cannot find the link or option to post a new question on this community. i found it the other day, in some obscure hidden spot.

how on earth do you post a question here and why is that option hidden?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Farid, thank you for your reply.

I see that this tab is only in All Pages, does not show up in Content Drilldown where I usually look.
I am looking into this section of GA now.
last week my top viewed page had 109 page views.
when i view that page and look at navigation summary, it does not tell me much.
it shows me only one single previous path that had one pageview.
then it shows next path for that to the page I am interested in (my top viewed page) and it was viewed 4 times from that previous page.

nothing else is shown. what about the other 105 page views???

it gives just a tiny fraction of info about a tiny fraction of the views.
does this mean that the remaining views were all direct links?
or came from a google search?
i dont know. google analytics is not helping me understand how users came to view my top page (all the questions in my original post)

any more advice you can give on how I might get answers to these question using GA?

PS, I also found the hidden option for a new topic . The only place I have found it is under a button labeled "Guide Me" which is completely non-intuitive. I basically had to click everything on every page until I found this hidden option

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ken,

This is the key,

1. Go Behavior > Site Content > All Pages
  2. Find the page you want (page 123 for example)
  3. Click on it for more data
  4. Choose Navigation Summary in tabs

Important Note: Check Entrances and Previous Pages carefully. Entrances is the number of times visitors entered your site through pages that they're not your internal pages. for instance, search engines, direct, referrals and etc.

Now, you know how many of users, going to that page by your internal pages, and how many of them going that page by direct, search engines and etc. You know what previous pages helps as well.

What about entrances?

It's simply easy!

1. Go Behavior > Site Content > Landing Pages
  2. Find your page
  3. Set Primary Dimension to Source

Example: I have a page named "Services" on my website that has 10,000 sessions in this month, on Navigation Summary I'm seeing 90% previous pages and 10% entrance. 9,000 sessions reached my services page by my internal pages and 1,000 sessions find my page by directs, google, referrals.

Hope if helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I cannot make heads or tails of the data shown in navigation summary. it makes no sense at all.

my top page last week had 109 pageviews.
if i drill down on it, as you described, it shows only ONE previous page (it is an internal page, a page on my site) and that has one page view - I thought you said entrances only shows the opposite of this?

It looks to me like Previous Page and Next Page are only showing internal pages, pages that are part of my site

in next page it shows THREE pages (all three are internal pages, pages on my site)
these next pages have a total of 6 page views.

this is a far cry from the 109 pageviews that the page had. it just does not make much sense.

what is included in this section of GA and what is excluded?

this section of GA is not telling me anything that makes any sense.
those 109 pageviews,, where did they come from?
was it from google search?
from a referral?
from

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

They come from:

1. Behavior > Site Content > Landing Pages
  2. Find your page
  3. Set Primary Dimension to Source