Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

googleads.g.doubleclick.net showing as referral but I'm not running any ad campaign

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

As pointer here  and here, I'm receiving traffic from googleads.g.doubleclick.net, but I'm not running any ad campaign or affiliate program or anything like that. Many destiny pages that comes from this referral are  404 pages with longs query strings... Others are regular pages.

I'm running adsense in my site. Might that has something to do with that? Any idea about this?

Thanks for your time.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: googleads.g.doubleclick.net showing as referral but I'm not running any ad campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, after some research I found out it might has to do with...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13462795/determine-which-advertisement-made-a-request-to-eyeblast...

... as most (but not all) of the traffic whose reference is googleads.g.doubleclick.net has a destiny page similar to /404.html?page=/eyeblaster/addineyeV2-secure.html...

What do you guys think is the best way to go?

Re: googleads.g.doubleclick.net showing as referral but I'm not running any ad campaign

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Jose this could be spam go to your report that you see this information in and add a secondary dimension of "Hostname" if the host name is not your website that is a clear indication that you are receiving spam. If you find that it is indeed spame you can then filter out that host name and that will get your reports back in line.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian B,

Thanks for your response. The "hostname" is, actually, my own website. Did you read the question I linked to, in StackOverFlow?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
So if the host name is correct then you are probally right that it is being used by a third party on one of their pages via an iFrame, have you looked into X-frame options to keep unauthorized third parties from using iFrames to embed your hard work. We use it here as part of our standard deployment with evry new deployment we do penetration tests and a host of other security scans and before I can open up the site to the public I have to plug all the holes one of them being able to use iFrames to pull our pages into other third party websites. So we use the X-frame options and set up a white list for those who are authorized. Here is a relatively good link from stack overflow on the issue http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18800271/how-to-prevent-my-site-page-from-being-loaded-into-other...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Quite interesting Brian,

As I said before, we are running adsense, so, as far as I can see, it seems some advertisers are running campaigns which are causing the issue at some level. Anyway, it's an adsense issue, so I hope they will fix it.

About preventing other sites embedding our content, the link you point to might be quite useful in the future. But, right now, I don't see a reason why I should implement that. If someone uses our site via iframe, they will include ads as well... won't they? Or is there any way for them to keep the content and remove adsense in that iframe used in their servers?

:-)

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
I hope they can not modify your code when they use an iFrame, if they can you have bigger issues such as cross-site-scripting, server side injections, or cross site injections. But I doubt that most developers and coding languages have recommendations for preventing those. So if you dont mind the free advertisement and displaying of your content you should be good.