Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

ga:sessionDurationBucket - Google Sheets/Analytics add-on

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.

My first post here - so please be gentle. I tried the search and couldn't find a query matching this but hoping someone can help.

I'm trying to use the add-on for Google Sheets to pull through data from GA and having an issue with the ga:sessionDurationBucket.

All I really want to do is show the average session duration (so I can monitor it to see if changes we're making are making dwell time go up or down) ga:sessionDurationBucket was the only session/time metric available.

The data it pulls back from GA is (I'm fairly sure, showing me how many users in each 'bucket' of duration e.g. 500 people visited for 180 - meaning 500 users spent 3 minutes on the site).

However, this doesn't correlate to what I can see in the GA user-interface and no matter what I do to it (SUM all the sessions; divide it by the total users; divide it by 60 (to give minutes, not seconds). I've tried everything I can think of, so hoping I've missed something obvious and someone can help?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew C
April 2016

Re: ga:sessionDurationBucket - Google Sheets/Analytics add-on

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andrew,

ga:sessionDurationBucket is a dimension. If you want to pull the Average Session Duration you can use this metric instead - https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/dimsmets#view=detail&group=session&...

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net