Analytics
7.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

full referrer secondary dimension shows a page that does not contain a link to page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Behavior > Site Content > All Pages
I added a secondary dimension for full referrer (the URL that referred the traffic), to see all the top pages and where the users came from before they viewed the page.

I have seen examples where the full referrer shows a url which does not contain any link to the page.
How is this possible?

The top page for one of my sites shows referrals from a page which does not and has never had any link to the page in question. Has anyone ever seen this before? How can we trust the analytics when it gives impossible wrong results like this and there is no way to report the issue to google?

1 Expert replyverified_user

full referrer secondary dimension shows a page that does not contain a link to page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Referral information applies only to Landing pages in your use case. So change your report from All Pages to Landing Pages and it should make more sense.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

that makes absolutely zero sense, but thank you for the reply.
the referral urls that I see, have no link to any pages for this site. zero. none.

when I look at Behavior > Site Content > Landing Pages, I see exactly the same bad data when I add in the secondary dimension of full referrer. It shows pages as referrers and these referrer pages have no links to any pages on this site. 

This is clearly broken and wrong and there is no way for me to report the issue to google.