Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

first visit landing page of a returning visitor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How's it going guys,

I'm hoping someone would be able to help me out here. I'm trying to track how a specific segment of return visitors (who originally landed on a specific section of the site) interacts with the website when they come back. So basically I would like to look only at return visitors whose first session's landing page matched a particular regexp.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: first visit landing page of a returning visitor

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Val you can create a new segment where the Conditions are as follows Filter = Sessions Include User Type contains Returning Visitors and Landing Page matches regex then enter you regex give it name and save it modify as needed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Brian, but won't it match the regexp against their LAST visit's landing page and not the FIRST? The landing page when they return is different from their original landing page. How do I see the original first-session's landing page of a return visitor?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

So you want to see where a returned user landed when they were new?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

I do not see away to do that in order to get that data you would one have to be tracking unique user id's, two know when they first arrived and third when they became a return user. GA looks at a user as either New or Returning during the designated time frame they are not in both buckets. So even if they came in to your site on the same day twice they would be a Return and not a New. So I dont think it is possible. You can see all sessions and their landing page and if you are tracking user id's you might be able to throw a wide net and include in your metrics their user id export that data to excel and use pivot tables to sort through it but that is just a wild guess. I truely dont think it is possible.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Indeed! I want to track how a specific content distribution tactic for the blog section is working. I have included all referrers that I buy traffic to website's blog in one regexp and all possible root folders and subdomains that this traffic can fall into in the other. It's easy to create a for new visitors (same as you said - include user new AND landing page matches rexep 1 AND sources match regexp2) but I also want to check how the returning visitors, who ORIGINALLY in their first visit hit one of regexp1's landing pages, behave and convert.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
are you tracking user id's if not how would you be able to match them up, you can not geo since it only tracks to the city level at best, you might be able to track by IP address but that would also not be full proof if the user obtains an IP address automaticly when they connect to their servers network. You can have mulitple user from a host so that can not be used. You would have to base it on a unique user id.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I see... OK a question then - can I programmatically get from GA status if a certain user is new or returning? On-the-fly without looking into the reports manually? Maybe there is an API command for it? I would then set a custom variable ONLY on the blog pages IF the user is new and this page is his landing page - custom variable on a visitor level.
Then I could look at all return visitors WITH this custom variable (it won't change when they visit the website again unless they clear their cookie right?) and know that they originally were driven to the site through the sources that match regexp 2. Can this work?

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Val are you just trying to figure out which of your ad campaigns a user is coming from or what is your goal here. You could possibly create an API that could intercept the Measurement Protocol or even look and see if the user has the GA cookie on their computer but that is a lot of effort for very little payout. Have you looked into events or campaigns to see if they would do what you want to do, but it might help if I knew why this data was important and what you hope to gain from it. You can use User Flow with segments and filters to narrow down yoour visitors but if you want to know how a specific user is interacting you need a common and unique element which can only be accomplished via User ID. Read this article and see if it sounds like what you want to accomplish https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3123662?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks it's a good idea for sure. are you talking about user defined variables? If I get the data from GA that it is a New Visitor, and let's even say my script will check if the referer_uri matches one of the sites we use for the content distribution, then I could probably set a user defined var for this user. Then - in order to analyze all (new and return) visitors who were acquired by my channels I will look at this user defined var. Can I get any kind of confirmation programmatically from GA that this specific user's status is New?