Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

event timing AND user session

i r
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
i r
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let us say I'm tracking an event.

I want to know what people do after that specific event happens.

For example, if the average time on page is 3.5 seconds and this event happens for 90% of the sessions at 3.3 seconds then I know that users typically leave the page after doing this event.

Is there any way to determine WHEN a specific event happens on a page?

And for all the different times that the event happens what PERCENTAGE of the user sessions do the event at those different times.

I don't want to do any api calls for real-time event information. 

Thanks lots in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: event timing AND user session

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Ir,
unfortunately Google Analytics arrive only to track minutes not seconds, and also using that time it''s going to be the timestamp of when the hit was saved into DB.

The only solution is save into the event after how much the user fired the event.

Fil

[ Edited ]
i r
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
i r
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks lots Filtro; can we pls be connected over linkedin; i'm at <edited by a Community Manager as noted below> would love to reach out to you for helping us/startup with short side gigs if you maybe interested at that point in time.

This post has been edited by a Community Manager, per our  Community Guidelines. 

Please note that it is counter to the Community Guidelines to either ask for or offer help outside the Community itself, and/or to include contact information in Community posts.  For reference, the Guidelines may be found via the Community Guidelines link toward the bottom of the page. Thanks for your understanding.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

You have multiple choices here where 2 are easy to implement. A prerequisite is that you do some kind of a calculation for the end result - time needed for a user to do an event - probably js with window.performance.timing (Time when the event happened - Time the page loaded OR DOM ready = Time needed for the user to do the event).

And then supply GA with:
1) Timing event - https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/user-timings OR
2) Send a ordinary event but add a custom metric with the hit - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en#example-metrics

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net