Analytics
1.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

different totals within the same date range

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

Has anyone seen GA given different totals within the same date range when looked up in different days?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: different totals within the same date range

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
HI Ricardo
I am not really sure about nature of your problem can you elaborate with an example?
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Ricardo,

If you are talking about user totals differing over a date range then pulled day by day for example, this is expected. If a user comes to your site every day for 30 days and you look at the entire date range, then you will see one user. If you pull each day individually and add them up, that would give you 30; when in actuality it was one user.

Does that help?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Theo,

I think you need to review your process for how you are collecting the data. If you are running you report day by day instead of over a period of multiple days, then the user will show up on each report and you cannot sum the users when combining the daily reports. The reason being that the user can have multiple sessions over a given period. 

Unless you are taking advantage of the User ID feature, Google Analytics will simply give you the numbers for total visitors, new visitors and returning visitors on any given report. If you do implement User ID tracking, then you should be able to export the information and more accurately report on the number of users when combining daily reports outside of Google Analytics.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
@Miguel M. I'm not doing that Smiley Happy Simply suggesting that perhaps that's what @Ricardo P is doing.

Best,

Theo
Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Sorry @Theo B I addressed the wrong person. Any thoughts on if implementing User ID could help @Ricardo P resolve his issue?

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Smiley Happy No worries Miguel! User ID will not correct the analyst that attempts to add up users across smaller time periods and then compare them to larger time periods (If that's what he did). Smiley Happy

There's nothing wrong with pulling many metrics by day but we always pull user counts over the entire range.

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Not a problem, enjoying reading the responses