Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

different stats in "channels" and "search queries"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi.

example: 

in "channels" the number of visits via search engines for one month is 251. but when i look at "search engine optimization" and "search queries" it says 528 clicks ... odd, isn't it??? i thought the numbers need to be (nearly) the same?

could it be a problem with the analytics code? maybe trouble with wordpress-plugins?

i'm looking forward to your opinion. thanks.

greets, olaf

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: different stats in "channels" and "search queries&q

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Olaf,

The point is, analytics data and the corresponding data of Google search console are two completely different sets of data, whereas the difference shouldn't normally be as high as in your case. There are a lot of potential differences: In Analytics, organic search in channels includes other search engines besides Google and it's sessions here instead of clicks, so click statistics could be biased by single users with a lot of clicks.

And yes, check the landing-page report in your SEO section of Analytics sorted by clicks, and compare it to the general landing-page report in Analytics if there might be any mayor differences or distortions.

Christoph

Re: different stats in "channels" and "search queries&q

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

thank you very much.

Olaf