Analytics
3.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

demographics data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have not enabled demographics and interest reports (and we don't want to right now), but when I go to the Demographics Overview report for our site, I see three charts (Age, Gender, and Interest Category) with related statistics.  Is this just fake data, intended to give us a sample of what the reports would look like if we enabled these features?  Or are these actual reports based on our traffic?  Thanks,

Ken

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: demographics data

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

If the capability has not been enabled, then there should be a blue Enable button in the right pane and a small explanation about how to use the reports etc

demos01.jpg

If it has been enabled then in the overview you will see reporting similar to the following

with other reporting available for age and gender too under the applicable side nav links

demos02.jpg

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

demographics data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Bronwyn.  It has not been enabled, and I'm seeing exactly what you noted: the blue Enable button, the explanation, etc.  My question is: is the data that appears along with that explanation actually from our site traffic, or is it fictitious?  I'm guessing it's fictitious, because it matches your first screenshot: 45.8% Female, 54.1% Male, etc.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ken H
June

demographics data

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Its just a static, rotating, image that represents the type of data available for those reports, its not real data from your site.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

demographics data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks very much