Analytics
2.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

clicks through URL builder generated link not returning results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am using the following (built from the url builder) as the link that I have embedded into my email. However the link doesn't seem to be returning any results under the campaign tracking. The site is only public to a selected test group (hence why I haven't given the full url) but I can assure you the site is working and the rest of the analytics I have implemented is returning data ....Can you tell me if why this isn't working? I have I should have done here?

co.uk/?utm_source=EmailPromo&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=PilotRefresh

cheers,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: clicks through URL builder generated link not returning results

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Have you used the real time reports to check that the attribution is correct? It can take a while for results to populate in the standard reports.
John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have just tested it again and both source and medium are showing direct and none respectively.

Do you have any further suggestions?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camelot M
December 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Do the parameters appear in the pages URL when you arrive at your site? If they do, check that they are formatted correctly and that you do not have any filters in place on the view which may be removing them. If they do not appear, check that there is nothing server side - like a redirect - which is removing them.

Also, double check in the campaign reports that they are not, in actual fact, appearing - sometimes attribution does not appear correctly in the RT reports.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John for the comprehensive response, once I get to my desk I will double check the above. Could you elaborate on your comment re: Attribution not appearing correctly? I'm actually seeing a lot of weird results in the attribution tab, for example we have a lot of traffic from sources I'm not familiar with.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
No worries - but I'm not sure how much help I have been. I've witnessed, and also heard from others, that the RT time reports can sometimes be a little buggy and not show attribution correctly - though it later appears correct in the standard reports.

As for the traffic from sources you are not familiar with - I would recommend checking to see if this is real or spam traffic. If they uniformally have a bounce rate of 100% then alarm bells should start ringing. There is a whole section of this forum devoted to spam but let me know if you need help.