Analytics
3.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

campaing report vs content report differs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I created this campaign url using google url builder

http://mywebsite.com/es/evento/curso-b-sico-de-sanaci-n-pr-nica-julio-2016/?utm_source=mailchimp&utm...

If I check the Campaign report it shows 75 Sessions

If I check the Site Content-> All Pages -> page report, it shows 66 Pageviews

What I don't get is:

1. Shouldn't pageviews be more or equal to the sessions? In 1 session the user could trigger many pageviews. And if you count 1 pageview per session, should be the same.
  2. How can I check the pageviews in the Campaign Report? or the Sessions in the Page Report?

campaign sessionscampaign sessions

pages viewpages view

Tks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: campaing report vs content report differs

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Alejandro A,

Is it possible that you have MailChimp traffic to other pages? If not it's probably just a function of how GA handles attribution. That is, if I click on your email link and come to your site, I will now be attributed to mailchimp/email for each subsequent visit that does not have any campaign details (direct, etc) so If I come back later, e.g. directly to your homepage, I'm still a mailchimp visitor.

You can get a little more insight if you pull in a secondary dimension of landing page to your source/medium report when you have mailchimp selected... or you could create an advanced segment.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theo,
but I don't quite get it. I click on the mailchimp campaing link and this is count as 1 session. Browsing the site will trigger many pageviews. So the pageviews count should always be higher than the sessions count.

I think (not sure thought) if a new session is generated, It shouldn't be under "mailchimp" session, because is a new session. But anyway, the pageviews should be more or equal, never less.

I've added source/medium as second dimension and the mailchimp campaing pageviews are even less, so I have 75 sessions for the campaing but only 59 pageviews from the campaing...

second-dimension.PNG

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex Angelico
July 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Alex,

In your first screenshot you are comparing a campaign source medium to stats for the landing page of that campaign. Someone could land on that page and then move on to other pages. To stay with the session discrepancy you should look at the source medium, drill into mailchimp, then pull in landing page as a secondary dimension. I suspect you will see other landing pages besides the one on which your are focused.

Direct will NEVER overwrite any other campaign information. So after clicking on your email offer and being attributed to mailchimp/email; as long as I come back to your site by typing in your URL or by bookmark, at least every 6 months (default time-out for campaigns) from the same browser and machine/device for the next 10 years; every single visit will be attributed to mailchimp/email.

This fact will lead to more sessions than landings on your landing page.

More on campaign attribution here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6205762?hl=en

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Theo, this makes sense.

I added the second dimension to the campaign report and it showed more pages. So are probably direct shown as comming from the campaing.

Thanks a lot!

campaign-second-dimension.PNG