Analytics
3.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

campaign tracking and landing page mismatch

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've found something strange in Google Analytics and was wondering if other people have encountered the same thing.

It involves campaign tracking and landing pages.

My organisation has a few newsletters that we send out to a few thousand people. We use campaign tracking parameters in links to our site.

When I go to Acquisition>All Traffic>Source/Medium. I can filter to just the Source/Medium combination for a particular newsletter issue. I then add a secondary dimension of Landing Page. My expectation is that it would list the page that people came to from the newsletter.

However, I am finding that many of the landing pages are not linked from the newsletter. I'm not sure how this is possible.

I've tried some small-scale tests and it always works the way I would expect, ie when following a link with campaign parameters, the source/medium comes from the parameters and the landing page is the one I first arrive at.

Anybody advice would be welcome.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: campaign tracking and landing page mismatch

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Justin,

the probable solution are returning visitors that entered your site via email link but returned to it via direct access at a later point. Google Analytics keeps 'strong' referrers if it's followed by a 'weak' referrer, i.e. direct traffic [1].

According to this, a custom report containing a flat table (Source / Medium + Campaign + User Type + Landing Page) should show the landing pages from the emails only if 'user type' equals 'new visitor', and other landing pages if it's a returning visitor.

Also check the conversions > multichannel funnels > top conversion paths report to assess the source/medium paths of interest.

Christoph

[1] https://www.e-nor.com/blog/google-analytics/direct-visits-google-analytics-attribution-precedence

Re: campaign tracking and landing page mismatch

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,
Many thanks for your reply, that helps a lot.

Cheers
Justin