Analytics
2.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

back browser button

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there any report that will show me which page is generating the most back browser button event and on which browser.

Within a funnel visualization, i can see the back browser (where session goes to previous step) but i was looking for this info for the entire site.

Thanks lots in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Indranil R
October 2016

back browser button

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You still won't be able to distinguish between link navigation or back button clicks. But in most cases, this should come pretty close. Otherwise, you could measure the internal link clicks on Page B to Page A as events. Then add a normal condition to your advanced segment to exclude sessions with those events. This would leave you with the number of sessions that:

Visited Page A -> Visited Page B -> Visited Page A and DID NOT click a link on Page B to Page A.

View solution in original post

back browser button

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hej! Off the top of my head I cannot think of an easy solution to this - if you are using a funnel then I guess you're talking about a checkout process or similar. I'd recommend using the goal flow report as this will better visualise looping behaviour.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

back browser button

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

To the best of my knowledge, one way to do it would be add the event to onBeforeUnload callback with category=backBrowser and action=name_of_page

back browser button

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Unfortunately, no. And since the back button/function in browser don't have its own event, it's also difficult to setup event tracking for back events.

However, it's possible to create an advanced sequence segment that will allow you to observe specific navigation paths.

For instance, you could define Step 1 as sessions with page A, Step 2 as sessions with any page except page A, and Step 3 as sessions with page A.

If you set the sequence conditions to "immediately", you would get a pretty good picture of "back navigating" visits.

back browser button

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks lots Phillip; makes sense.

However, will this help me to easily identify the pages that are creating back-browser events and which are the browsers that are causing the back-browser at those specific pages.

Thanks again.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Indranil R
October 2016

back browser button

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You still won't be able to distinguish between link navigation or back button clicks. But in most cases, this should come pretty close. Otherwise, you could measure the internal link clicks on Page B to Page A as events. Then add a normal condition to your advanced segment to exclude sessions with those events. This would leave you with the number of sessions that:

Visited Page A -> Visited Page B -> Visited Page A and DID NOT click a link on Page B to Page A.