Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

analytics.google.com showing in custom report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Any reason why this is happening? It's not on all posts.

I do have a static IP and filter set up. This is the page, in case it helps: https://prl.natsci.msu.edu/news-and-events/news/brandizzi-lab-awarded-an-nsf-grant-for-corn-research...

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 1.33.10 PM.png
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Igor H
May 2016

Re: analytics.google.com showing in custom report

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Yes that is the change I would make if it were my site, moving the code to the top may improve reporting I have never looked into why GA recommends it be there just took their word that it should be there for best operation. If you have a filter in place to remove analytics.google.com from your results then revisit it as it is not working as one would expect. I am assuming that you are not adding filters in the admin section of of your views and that if you are you have a least one view that is not filtered that contains raw data.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Igor the first question that comes to mind is it possible that someone who was on analytics.google.com came to your site, perhaps maybe even you. The numbers look legit meaning I do not see any indicators that it is spam. Try adding a secondary dimension of "Hostname" and see if it is your website.

Now I do see that you have your GA code at the very bottom of your page this is not the recommended location for the GA code it should be up in the header, while I doubt that is the issue here consider moving it to the proper location if possible in your deployment.

The other thing I see is that your using 'auto' after your UA number try changing that to natsci.msu.edu or msu.edu while auto is totally acceptable you might get better results actually defining it.

I checked my standard report and it also shows analytics.google.com as a source so this is not out of the ordinary your probally seeing it more easily since you have filter(s) applied or your data set is very small. I had to dig down rather deep to find it in mine but it is their.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian,
That is very helpful!
Following up:
1) is it possible that it is still tracking analytics.google.com even though there is a filter on my computer for it not to show up? Otherwise, the relevant people with access to GA wouldn't be doing it (I'm the only one who tracks). You were right though, not spam.

2) Does moving the code to the top improve reporting?

3) Is this the change you are suggesting? I made it, below.

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-63752615-1', 'natsci.msu.edu');
ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

Thank you again for your time. It is immensely helpful.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Igor H
May 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Yes that is the change I would make if it were my site, moving the code to the top may improve reporting I have never looked into why GA recommends it be there just took their word that it should be there for best operation. If you have a filter in place to remove analytics.google.com from your results then revisit it as it is not working as one would expect. I am assuming that you are not adding filters in the admin section of of your views and that if you are you have a least one view that is not filtered that contains raw data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Much thanks.