Analytics
4.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Zip Code Data in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there a way to view zip code data of users or visitors in Google Analytics? Does anyone know how to set this up?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Not of the box - Google Analytics will not collect this.

If a visit enters this information into your website, for example via a form then you could collect it via an event.  Alternatively, if you have some means of identifying visitors on your site (via a login name or similar) then you could import zip code data which is associated with that visitor from, for example, a CRM data base).

A word of caution - I do not think that a zip code would be considered PII and therefore will not break the terms of service but I could be wrong. But if you're collecting zip codes on your site then chances are you have got names, email addresses etc which you definitely cannot have in Google Analytics.

Also - a user and a visitor are the same thing in Google Analytics. Users were previously called unique visitors. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

With a postcode and something like a birthday you can pretty much narrow it down to one or two people - do we have any clarity about whether GA ToS allows this?