Analytics
6.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Will a Site Search URL without query parameter report in Site Search tracking?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, 

One of our sites uses a search page URL in our navigation to allow visitors to see all the content on a particular topic. The resulting URL is like 

www.example.com/search?sort_by=cp_date_most_recent&topics%5B%5D=654&content_type[]=blog&content_type...  

The query parameter for our regular site searches:

search_text=

is not included in the URL parameters when we use search results as a destination URL. 

Can anyone confirm:

• That the search results page used as a navigation link is included in Site Search usage metrics (such as % of sessions with site search) or not.
  • If counted as a search that the search term field would just be reported as (not set) in site search term reports

I would much prefer that the pages were not counted as intentional searches on the site, so if anyone has a work-around to avoid this I'd be happy to hear that too!

Many thanks!

Liz

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I would expect it to be counted as a regular page view, and therefore not appear in your site search reports at all.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi John!

Thanks for your reply. I would expect that too, however I can't find any documentation from Google on what it actually uses to determine if a site search was conducted for Analytics reporting. If the determining factor is the query parameter that is entered when enabling search tracking, then I totally agree with your assumption. Plus, it's exactly what I want to hear. However, I can't find any evidence one way or another and I'm not at the liberty to test this as the search tracking is not yet live for the site in question. 

Have you seen any technical documentation or do you have a similar set-up on a site you have data for?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

My assumption is based on that I've not seen the value one enters in the site search query parameter field, in the GA UI, function as a regular expression i.e. it has to be an exact match. Do you have a stage site where you can test this?

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So your assumption is that the presence of the value entered as a search parameter in the URL is what indicates to GA that a search has occurred?