Analytics
3.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Will a Site Search URL as a Landing Page be recorded as a Site Search?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If you set up site search in GA using q as the parameter and then someone lands at your site on the below page

http://www.abc.com?q=search

Will this be recorded in the Google Analytics Site Search report as an on site search with search term of search? As even though they haven't actually completed a search the parameter is in the page url?

I think this may be affecting our site search exit rates so would be good to get a clarification on this.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt R
September 2016

Re: Will a Site Search URL as a Landing Page be recorded as a Site Search?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Matt,

If your search is indexed, then yes it would. You can see this when you select start page from the site search overview report or select pages under the site search report and then entrance to see how these folks are progressing.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt R
September 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Matt,

If your search is indexed, then yes it would. You can see this when you select start page from the site search overview report or select pages under the site search report and then entrance to see how these folks are progressing.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response Theo.

Indeed after testing it appears as though you are correct.

I went directly to a url containing a unique search term and this did indeed appear in the site search report even though no actual search was made.

This explains a very high search exit rate and traffic levels for one of my on site search terms, as the search term url is also being used as a landing page for another campaign.

Thanks for your help!