Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Will Google Analytics User-Id allow me to view data from webform submissions made by the user?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need to be able to see the date and time of the submission, the raw data that was submitted on the form, and a pdf that will be included on an API?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Will Google Analytics User-Id allow me to view data from webform submissions made by the user?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Jake,

If you want to store those things in GA (raw data, PDF requested, timestamp, etc.) you can do that via Custom Dimensions.

More on that here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I would not recommend storing web form data in GA, unless those are very specific, simple multi-choice answers (i.e. do not store open text) and do not store any PII info such as email, phone, names, birth date and such (against the terms of service and can get your account locked). Open text can contain sensible info too - a friend of mine working for a bank says people will provide all kind of crazy details on form, like full credit card info!

The proper data location for your form is whichever back-end you are using to store the answers, not GA.

The user id isn't exposed directly in the reports or through the API (no clue as to why... it should be!). So you have to create a custom dimension to store it. You should track submissions as an event (or set it up as a goal with a funnel). Once you have that, you can have a breakdown of submission id's by date & time.

Equipped with the user id, you can merge the data with your form data storage and do all kind of reports. You might even use Data Studio to build more fancy reports than what's available out of the box in GA.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Jake,

@Stéphane H made some great points which, I must admit, I sort of assume users know not to add any PII and that's on me - should have added that here.  

Since I didn't know your use case I didn't dig in to all and was waiting your reply - should you have chose to do that here.   In any case, Stephane's approach is what I recommend as well if you are trying to do anything more than simple Boolean selections.

There is a guide to do an integration like the one suggested and you can find it here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/solutions/crm-integration

It has most of the broad strokes you'll need.   Thanks for chiming in Stephane!

Best,

Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn