Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Why that bounce rate is 0% when user spends time 4 mins on a website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In our analytics, While you take a look at Connecticut region, one user spent 23 minutes on website by browsing 9 pages of the website but the bounce rate is 0%.

Now look at the California region, one user spent just 48 seconds on a website by browsing 3 pages of the website but still the bounce rate is 0%.

In both the cases, session is 1.

Now tell me what’s actually the difference between these 2 in case of a bounce rate?

And also tell me, what if the bounce rate is 100%? Why that 100% bounce rate is shown?

i couldn't able to attach any snapshots here since there isn't any attach file button in this form.

Please reply!!!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why that bounce rate is 0% when user spends time 4 mins on a websi

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Susan
This is exactly what you should be seeing.

Bounce rate measures the number of sessions who left after viewing only the one that they arrived on. As soon as they have an interaction with the site or view another page, that user is deemed to have not bounced and that session is given a 0% bounce rate.

Here's some more detail for you. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009409?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Susan,

if you consider a single user with a session of several pageviews, his bounce rate is actually 0% because he isn't bouncing.

Do you see 0% bounce rate for all users or for accumulated data?

Christoph
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Susan C
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Susan - there are only 2 available values for bounce rate metric per session - it is either 0% or 100%.

If within a session you have at least 2 interaction hit such as pageviews bounce rate will be 0%. If on the other hand inside a session you only have 1 interaction hit (you just landed on the site and for instance closed the browser) your bounce rate will be 100%.

So basically bounce rate says were there any additional interactions with the site aside from the initial pageview.

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net