Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Why is my ecommerce checkout appearing as Direct Traffic in our reports?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We use Shopify for our website, and I noticed that we had a large amount of revenue attributed to the Direct Channel - however, I have looked at the paths that are accounting for this, and the vast majority are from /checkout and /cart pages. A whopping 90% of Direct revenue is from /checkout/contact_information 

I thought it could be from losing referral data from HTTP to HTTPS but all of the site is HTTPS, so it should still keep all the tracking information. I can't imagine that people are bookmarking a checkout page, so I'm stumped as to why it's appearing here. 

I have set up referal exclusions, and this includes checkout.shopify.com so it can't be this but I can't find anything on this appearing in Direct Traffic. Is there something I'm missing? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Referral exclusion prevents a new session from being started - but if cross domain tracking is not working then the attribution will still not be correct.

I would suggest that - based on what you are seeing - that cross domain tracking is not enabled, or not working, for your customers journey. You can also check the landing page for this direct sessions.

I would suggest that you map the customer journey, for a purchase, and see how the code is implemented on all pages. Make some test transactions and observe where a new visit is started, or at least, the attribution is lost. 

Have you checked the shopify forums - there's a lot of discussion around this, and the solution will almost certainly be with how shopify manages GA data.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had already posted on there too, and I've just been in touch with their support team. I also searched for many other threads, but came up a bit empty. I will update with any new information I get! I did find one outdated thread talking about cart permalinks perhaps being an issue so I'm wondering if that is related.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

ok - wait and see what they say I guess. In my experience, troubleshooting problems here is a lot about making test transactions and identifying exactly where cookies are being reset. Use GA debugger, dataslayer and tag assistants recording function.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So after some back and forth with the Shopify Support team... I'm still pretty clueless. 

I found the specific orders which were placed that had come through as 'Direct' and according to the Shopify dashboard it is stating it should have come through as an organic Google click.

I read that I may be losing the attribution from a session timing, however I have increased this to 1hr 45m from 30m and I have still got sales coming through on Direct. 

I will have to look into how to use those tools to try and figure this out from testing - thanks for the suggestions.