Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Why is my Master view empty? (Raw Data vs Master)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was following the Analytics Academy training videos and have created three views, one of which is a Raw Data view with no filters, (so it shows internal traffic generated by me) and another is a Master view that has only one filter, which is set to exclude internal traffic so that I see traffic by our users/customers. (The third is a Test view).

My problem is that the Master view has no data in it, I'm not sure why. May you please help me determine why the Master view has no data in it? Again it only has one filter set up and that is to exclude internal traffic. I know for a fact that I have external traffic on my site because people have completed online shopping orders. So, even if the online shopping orders aren't being tracked, the mere act of the user visiting our site to complete the order should be tracked, but again the Master view has nothing in it.

Thanks.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Do you see any traffic on your Rea-Time report? If not, most probably, you have a problem with the filter that you created on you Master View. Can you please show us how you defined it? 

Also, please keep in mind that when you create a new view it will start to collect data from scratch. This means there will not be any historical data.

Regards,

Güney

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your reply,

There is zero traffic in the Real-Time report.

When setting up the filter, I followed along with the Google Analytics Academy instruction video. I'm looking over the filter settings now,

Filter Name: Exclude Internal Traffic

Filter Type: Predefined

Exclude ... traffic from the IP addresses ... that are equal to...

IP address: (I placed my IP address in this field and the parameters above will exclude traffic from the IP addresses equal to this IP address).

I think I did everything correctly. Thank you.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

If you have defined your filter as you described and ip address is correct, it is fine.  Also, you said there is no other filter on the Master View.

Do you see traffic from other users rather than you on you raw data view's real-time report?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, I see traffic from other users rather than me on the Raw Data Real-Time report. I say this because I see one of the users is from a different province that none of our company offices are located at and the IP address out there is surely not the same as mine.

Thank you.