Analytics
4.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Why is GA showing zero traffic?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know, I know, I should checking my tracking code.

I have. It's fine. But GA is still showing a flatline.

Some weeks ago when I checked there was traffic there for November and December, but even that traffic is now a flatline.

I tried using Google Tag Assistant, and that is finding the GA code.

I've also tried creating new views with no filters. Still no joy.

The strange thing is that if I go to Admin > Property Setting, I get

Property Hit Volume

Yesterday: xxxx hits

Last 7 Days: xxxxx hits

Last 30 Days: xxxxxx hits

(the x represents real numbers).

So why are all the other screens showing a flatline for traffic?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why is GA showing zero traffic?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
A link to the affected site often helps with troubleshooting.

Did you keep the original default View that was created upon setup without any filters applied to it?

How long did you give the new views without filters to start collecting data?
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I am not allowed to post the link publicly.

I believe that one of the views I have is the default view but it may have been altered at some points before being altered back to default so I can't guarantee it is at default settings.

Good point about the age of the new view. Yes, you're right. Now that the view is a few hours old it is beginning to show that I've had some visitors in the last 24 hours. (But now, probably as a results of some messing around I did yesterday, ALL my views are showing traffic for today. Just today. Previous data is still flatlined)

I still have the problem of "recovering" the old traffic figures. Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

New or copied Views wont populate with historical data, they only collect data going forward from the time of creation and it can take 24hrs or so for them to start collecting and displaying data.
The usual reporting latency is 24-48hrs. This is considered normal. Often data for the current day is incomplete.

Usual best practice is to always keep one View (usually the one that gets created by the system when the account and property is created) without any filters applied to it .. this ensures there is always an unedited raw copy of data for reporting purposes.

Having a View suddenly stop receiving data for any length of time is usually an indicator to check the tracking code is still properly installed.. or check filters that may have been applied to the View.

Historical data that is missing due to filters not working correctly, or incorrectly installed tracking code is not recoverable data.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply.

>>Historical data that is missing due to filters not working correctly, or incorrectly installed tracking code is not recoverable data.

Er, there is no incorrectly installled tracking code and I have multiple evidence that the code is fine. 

And this historical data is not "missing". It was there in the past, I've seen it. And it's there now if I go to
Admin > Property Setting (as I posted in the OP).

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

And this historical data is not "missing". It was there in the past, I've seen it. And it's there now if I go to
Admin > Property Setting (as I posted in the OP)

Sorry, hadn't fully understood what you meant initially, thanks for the clarification. 

Ok so the hits are showing in the Property Settings page, but the data is missing from the original analytics View

that you saw it in.

Is it only missing for a particular period of time.. eg Is fine and displays data up to Nov then suddenly flatlines

up to today.. or does the data for that View come back in Jan ...or all data for all time is missing from the initial View
that you saw it in.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's a complete flatline.

Even the Nov / Dec period, which did show traffic at the time, is now showing flat.

The new view is showing traffic since yesterday, but nothing before that.

I promise, I haven't fixed code on the site (though that would be the easiest explanation i.e. code not working before so flatline traffic.... code working now so traffic is showing). I haven't touched the code on the site. But I did click on the Analytics Notification about "Property <sitename> is not receiving hits" and that notification is now showing as "pending verification". (BTW, I verified ownership many months ago via file upload)

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I promise, I haven't fixed code on the site (though that would be the easiest explanation i.e. code not working before so flatline traffic.... code working now so traffic is showing).

That's fine, wasnt my thought, as it doesnt explain the data that is missing from the View that was there in Nov/Dec.

Couple of other questions.. are there any filters applied to that particular View?

Does anyone else also have administrative access to google analytics?

If you go to the Admin page in analytics and select the analytics account from the first column drop down...below that still in the first column..
1) Click on trash can.. are there any Views scheduled for deletion.. if so could one of them be the View that had the data in it before?
2) Click on Change History.. and scroll back to read thru account, property, view changes etc.. are you seeing the deletion of the View and then the recreation of another View with the same name etc?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
>>are there any filters applied to that particular View?
They were, but I removed them in frustration as I guessed the possibility of a problem with the filter/s.

No one else has any access - user or admin - to this account.

Trash can: No views there for deletion and I don't recall ever deleting a view.
Change History:
22nd Jan: Created new view
18th Dec: Data sharing setting changed (to share data with Google marketing)
4th Dec: Filter "Remove referral spam 2" created
4th Dec: View "Without referral spam" linked to filter "Remove referral spam 2"
4th Dec: Filter "Remove referral spam 1" changed
4th Dec: View "Without referral spam" linked to filter "Remove referral spam 1"
16th Nov: Filter "Remove referral spam 1" created
(those are ALL the entries from Nov 16 to Jan 22. )

I must report that now ALL my views are showing traffic for the last two days, but still no traffic in any of them for prior periods.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marko7
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Well that is a bit of a mystery at this stage.

- The usual best practice to follow, is to always leave one View without any filters applied to it.. for all time
so there is always an unedited copy of data for reporting purposes.
- Create another View for testing purposes, re filters etc.
- Then have one or more Master Views, for reporting, that filters can be applied to once they are tested and known
to be working correctly and not filtering out needed traffic data.