Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Why does my landing page report shows confidential section on my site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I'm seeing so many URLs which are not in Google index in the GA landing page report. These are the URLs that require authentication and some form completion pages (with users' email).

Ideally, these URLs should not be available with any confidential data but it does and there's some problem with the site/security configuration. But, how does Google picks such URLs and reports them in the GA landing page report? Isn't landing page report supposed to have only URLs that users were able to find in Google search?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

"Landing Page" is simply the first page a user sees in any given session. So no, landing pages are not just pages that users were able to find in Google search.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

landing page report contains the pages that were first pages in users session. So in that sense it has nothing to do with Google search.

So if I have bookmarked confidential page and use it to start my session it will be my landing page.

So first page of the session, in short.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for replying. So, in the case of bookmarks, it should not show up in my organic landing page report but only in the direct traffic report, right?

I'm still clueless as to how do these pages show up as landing pages when I set the source/medium = google/organic? Without these pages are publically available in Google search, how could these pages can trigger a (first)session in GA when I chose to include only organic traffic?

Thanks for both your help, much appreciate!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Antti,

Any help with why the confidential section which requires a login is showing up int he Organic landing page report? 

Thanks,

Amjath

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Amjath,

It's due to how Google attributes traffic as "direct." Someone who enters your site via Google is labeled as "organic." If they bookmark your confidential page and return via that bookmark, those subsequent visits are also considered "organic" assuming they didn't enter your site from another source since their original organic visit. 

Here's an article detailing direct attribution. Here's a similar discussion about landing pages not matching expectations, but for email instead of organic. 

Best,

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Mike,

That's completely new to me and not sure why it looks strange. I thought Google label the bookmark visits as 'direct'. 

But still, I'm clueless about how this page shows up in the organic report.

For example, assume the page is example.com/some-session. It will 301 redirect you to example.com/login for some weird reason. So, technically, Google will not be able to crawl the first URL and add to its index for someone to land on that page organically.

What am I missing? Thanks for replying!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

No problem. I could have been more clear in my original post. Direct traffic is overridden by any other previous source. For example, I enter example.com through Google - this sessions is classified as "organic." I create an account, bookmark the URL example.com/some-session, and then leave. If I then return 5 separate times using that bookmark, each of those 5 sessions will also count as "organic" instead of "direct" with the landing page being example.com/some-session.

If I was the only visitor to example.com during that period, you would see a total of 6 sessions all credited to organic, with example.com/some-session as the landing page for 5 of those sessions. 

Does that make sense?

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Mike that perfectly make sense!

I can see why the % of new visitors is not even 1% of the total sessions for these pages. So, is that better to filter out such pages or is there a way to attribute this traffic to the first page? 

To be clear,

1. Bookmark traffic is labeled as 'Direct' - Wrong. It's labeled based on the previous source. So, it could be anything; referral, direct, paid or organic.

2. Landing page report includes the pages the visitors land on first. They could be any landing pages from email, direct, campaign, referral etc. But when you choose organic as the filter, the landing page report only includes pages that visitors were able to click from Google. - Wrong. The landing page report can also include pages that users bookmarked after clicking from Google organic results.

Is that correct? Much appreciate your help!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amjath K
November 2016

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Amjath,

There is a way to sort of mitigate this through campaign time out settings. If this topic is something you're interested in, I highly recommend reading all of the article I linked in my first post - instructions are in there. 

Point #1 - Sort of, but it's not that black and white. Bookmark traffic could be labeled direct (for instance, bookmarked links after clearing cookies will be attributed to direct). The important thing to remember is that any direct visit occurring after a non-direct visit will be attributed to the last non-direct visit's source (so long as their GA cookie hasn't expired and they're still within the set campaign timeout window). 

Point #2 - "The landing page report can also include pages that users bookmarked after clicking from Google organic results." Correct, as long as the last non-direct visit was organic. If someone came to your site organically, bookmarked, came to your site from an email link, and then returned 5 times via the bookmark, the last 5 sessions will be attributed to email (since email was the last non-direct source/medium). 

Best,

Mike