Analytics
4.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Why does Product List Performance shows different views when SKU is applied as a secondary dimension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My product list results are changing depending on whether I look at SKU or Product Title. For example, I have searched a list for "beer glass" and I get just these two listings

If I add SKU as a secondary dimension, the views change

If I then change to SKU as the primary dimension and search for those SKUs, I get only these results (which again have different view counts)

As far as I can tell, my product list tracking is working correctly. Am I doing something wrong, or misunderstanding the report? It's also worth noting that I looked into this based on someone asking me the same question based on a different ecommerce site.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why does Product List Performance shows different views when SKU is applied as a secondary dimen

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Craig,

Invoking a secondary dimension may subject you to sampling. Was the data sampled? That could explain the difference.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Why does Product List Performance shows different views when SKU is applied as a secondary dimen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo

Yes, bringing in a secondary dimension does cause sampling, however with a smaller sample I'm not sure how views could go up. This also does not explain why changing the primary dimension from Product to Product SKU changes the view count.

Cheers

Craig

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Craig,

You have two possible things at play. "Beer glasses" that don't have the sku associated with it or sampling.

Once sampling is invoked, GA algorithmically pulls a smaller number of sessions (the sample) than the total in the data range. If, in the sample, Beer Glasses are more highly represented than in the actual total data pool, then you will see higher numbers. If in the sample, they are less represented, then you will see lower than actual. The algorithm is good but can't account for search volume, sales or marketing pushes.

To get true numbers you'll need to pull smaller date ranges, use the API and make multiple requests then stitch them together or use GA Premium/360.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm experiencing the exact same thing with a Enhanced Ecommerce set-up. Did you ever find a solution?

Why does Product List Performance shows different views when SKU is applied as a secondary dimension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Will

No I didn't unfortunately.