Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Why can't I make a custom report for converting search terms in GA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I am trying to build a custom report that will show me the on site search terms people have searched for when making a purchase on our site during a session. 

I have made plenty of similar reports showing me the campaigns or source/medium user came from before making a purchase during a session, but I can't get this to work.

As statistic I used users, sessions or total of unique search terms (none of them showed any results)

As dimension is used 'Search term' which can be found under the behaviour tab and as on site as explenation. 

So far I get results - Namely, all the Search terms users have used. But I only want to see the one's that were searched on during a session in which a user also visited a thank you page. 

So a add an extra filter saying

Include - page - regular expression - <regex>

I know it might be one of your sugestions, but I have checked the regex and it works, so that is not it. 

Can anyone help me figure this out? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Why can't I make a custom report for converting search terms in GA

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Search terms are recorded at the page-level, and so are your conversion pages. Filters would give you one or the other, but not both.

To get what you want, create a SEGMENT where the visitor hit your thank you page -- then you will see search terms only for those sessions.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.